Monday, August 31, 2009

some tech advice from a tech idiot....

It's scary how we are at the mercy of technology.

I welcomed Monday with a mini heart attack at 12plus midnight when I realised that 7000 over pics from last year I was trying to transfer into my new portable hard disk, did not get copied over. I accidentally cancelled the transfer halfway and by right, the original folder should remain intact. But by left, the folder disappeared. I had another outdated back up on another disk but I was too quick to delete it thinking I would not need that anymore. CRY!

I opened the half copied stuff on my new disk thinking at least I would have some pics if not all. But when I clicked into them, there were 0 pictures in ALL the folders! CRY!

ES tried to remote rescue me over the phone but I was too exasperated to try anything properly. I googled "how to restore cut files" and out came entries which were too technical for me understand.

The biggest problem was I fiddled with alot of other functions and cutting and repasting some stuff after the blunder.

WORD OF ADVICE: When you accidentally deleted something, dun try to be funny and perform other actions or disconnect your portable disk or thumbdrive. Press CTL-Z to undo it. It should work.

If not, try looking for it in the recycle bin and restore it. Do not CUT from the recycle bin and Paste as this will only restore a portion of the files. I have no idea why, I tried it yesterday. Choose "Restore" instead and they will put it back into the original drive.

Well, I fiddled with my comp for a good half hour and finally got it restored from the recycle bin. I had used "cut" instead of "restore" which doesn't work. So...pls use RESTORE.

Remembered the times we developed all our pictures. There's not much chance of them lost unless you burn them or chuck them at one corner. Even if you lose the pictures, you have the good ole negatives which there's not much chance of it being lost at the same time.

Of coz, there's a lifespan expiry on the ancient way of developing and storing photos. Photos turn yellow and colors become less vibrant. Negatives can turn mouldy and usually doesn't last long. However, you take greater care of them as they have an expiry date.

They give a nostalgic feel too when you physically feel and flip the pictures. The worn off color adds on to the nostalgia.

No comments: