Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Marley and Me review

It was a blessing in disguise that I watched it off the screens. I'm not those who go gaga over doggie movies but I wouldn't totally shun it as well. And if you know me, my threshold for bad movies is pretty high so you can tell how this movie had incurred my wrath.

Watched many doggie movies before and I can say for sure this is one of the most ridiculous, untouching movie ever done. They have totally wasted everyone's time including the doggie's time in producing the movie. The doggie must have felt so insulted as the main cast. tsk tsk.

I'm guessing that the film-makers are trying to make a unique film by veering from the mainstream storyline. Marley was the most naughty, unruly and worst dog ever which I bet the whole cinema of movie-goers were cursing at through out the draggy 2 hr show. The only thing I remember about the dog is how it charged and chewed at every piece of furniture it could get its teeth on, how it chewed off the pillows with tons of feathers snowing around, how it charged into the bathroom when the dog minder was taking her bath.

You would expect the filmmaker at this time, inject some unexpected events to redeem the reputation of the little dinosaur. No. It showed how the dino turned into a Tyrannosaurus, barking and charging through 3 neighbours' garden and barking its head off at the sound of the police siren.

Terrible and sad dog. I lost all hope by this time and the worst part came when it suddenly showed how Marley got a funny stomach-upside-down illness (sorry..can't rem the illness) and the whole family started moping over it. Firstly, I could feel zero sense of attachment the family has with the dog. I couldn't even think of one instance which portrayed Marley's endearment to the family. Secondly, I did not feel sad coz probably Marley had the funny illness due to the accumulated rotting furniture it had gobbled in the past 12 years. The irony came in when Owen Wilson told the vet with great confidence that Marley would survive through this coz if he could digest a telephone, he can survive ANYthing. what rubbish is this.?!

The kids cried over Marley's death. I wouldn't cry over a t-rex which ran over me countless times during my childhood. I would infact be scared of it.

Having said that, pls do not misunderstand me. It's perfectly realistic to write about a horrible dog. But you need to also carve the perfect string of events to bring out how this horrible dog has somehow changed your life or affected you in some remote way, besides destroying your life.
Crap. Pls watch it and you'll know how crap it is.

No comments: