Sunday, February 24, 2008

me, okasan and durian

Durian is such an amazing fruit. It's called the King of Fruits for a reason.

It is King for:
  • Ugliness. been deciphering since I was young how a fruit can look like this.
  • having the least number of fruits in such a seemingly huge casing.
  • the variety of taste/types it can come in. bitter, bitter-sweet, sweet, thick... cat-mountain brand, d24, etc. particularly adore those with super tiny seeds. In hokkien, we call these with small seeds "zu4 ji4".
  • the ability to emit different smells through that rough, thick husk. always wondered how those people can choose by smelling durians

Both me and my mum share a common love for durians. We watch HK drama serials and at the same time, share an intelligent discussion on how good or bad the durians are as compared to the last time we bought from the hougang ave 8 durian uncle.

heard ang mohs exclaiming that durians have got a metallic taste and simply unpalatable. Given my huge love for this fruit, I really can't respond to that comment except heave a sigh of regret on their behalf on what they've been missing out.

No comments: