Saturday, April 14, 2012

DIY Gifts in a jar - Hot Chocolate

I think the best part of my coming ROM would be the many enjoyable hours with ES putting together a small gift for my wedding guests.

I think I need to continue this hobby so that I can get better at it. It's something I really love doing. Time is always the issue but I should start to scrape this excuse.

Hope this will inspire you to DIY your love to your family or loved ones...

1)

I made these ribbons to decor the jars. The pretty ribbons were bought from Daiso. If you intend to tie the ribbons yourself, pls avoid buying silky smooth ribbons. Hard to keep them in place. I totally heart the mad stack papers from the scrapbook shop. The book comes with a variety of deisgns of paper which you can detach and use as you like. $11.90 per stack. Pricey..but the paper designs were WOW. I couldn't resist pretty papers... bought 2 stacks and got one free. 

2) Used Alton Brown's hot Cocoa recipe and it was silky thick. Definitely a comfort drink for anyone. But we tried making one mug and it was really thick and sweet. We added more water and could make 2 mugs instead of one. So you could cut down on the sugar content. 


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/hot-cocoa-recipe/index.html


Ingredients (Yields 5.5 cups dry mix)

  • 2 cups powdered sugar (aka. icing sugar)
  • 1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered milk (we used creamers instead.. tasted great too!)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (try it, it's supposed to bring out the choc flavour!)
  • Hot water

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.
Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.


Used Hershey's cocoa.. can't go wrong I suppose. ;)


 3) Bought the empty jars from Ikea. Spice jars $3.90 for 4 jars. Really value for money.

4) That's how it looks like filled up with cocoa. Oh, you can't see it but I popped a marshmellow in each jar. Yum.


5) The pretty card tag was from the mad stack paper. I bought this stack coz of this heart design actually. The twine is from daiso. I used brown serviettes to give a hat to the jar...from daiso too. I love daiso. Punched a hole on the card...wrote a secret message behind for the guests.. Tada. Done.



6) This is how it looks from behind. And I did not use the ribbons in the end coz I thought they looked too awesome already.

7) It looked pretty painless. But we actually spent half a day each day over 2 days to finish it. Satisfaction guaranteed.

8) Each gift costs about $2.60 + lots of love.


No comments: