Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Elections fever..I've had enough

I'm never into political stuff. The only time I will bother to read about them is when it's part of my school textbook. Even though so, still a really involuntary and grouchy reader. It's dry, it's boring and maybe I'm too in my own world to care about who becomes government.

I must say I am very proud of myself this year. I actually know who LTK, Sylvia Lim, TPL and NS are, read through all the FB posts (not that I wanted to, coz FB is flooded with it!! I'll come to that later.), googled a few rally videos and even know how NS's bf looks like.

Social media should get the most credit for this.

What's meant to be a personal opinion when posted to the social network, becomes bigger than that. A politically retard like me actually holds some vague opinions about the various parties now. I asked myself why. It was all the FB posts, articles and videos, taking effect. And I believe I'm not the only one. A simple opinion you might have like "I think PXP can be better." can snowball into "PXP runs singapore like a private company, profit-thirty firm.....blah..blah."

It's crazy. The power of these little nuggets of news you read and hear about. Gunpowder smell was strong among some of the posts where people who commented held opposing views. scary.

I hold a simple view. Go with your heart. If you are a contented person, vote for them. We cannot deny that they have done a good job and I believe it would not get worse if they continue. The question is if it could get better.

If you think they can make a difference and the risk is worth it, vote for them. There's no right and wrong and you're just exercising your right as a citizen. Sad but true, we are brought up in a risk-adverse culture. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. What if you create new cracks while trying to fix it? What if it works even better after you fix it? You decide.

People have been slamming the opps that they have not revealed any conclusive plans in the rallies so far. Stuff they said were targeted at putting the other party down and some very broad future plans. I think that's really normal psychological warfare.

Who would be interested in listening to the detailed boring 5-10 year plan for Singapore at the sardine-packed rally? Let's keep that for parliament meetings and budget speech. More than half the people are at the rallies to seek immediate comfort in knowing that the person on stage understands how the average Singaporean is feeling. It does not matter that they do not have the concrete plans as yet. The assurance that they understand your needs already made it a battle half-won. The boring long term plan? That can come later. Clearly, the smart move is to maximise the short 1 week time you have to rally for support.

Yup. Being a political retard, I am on the fence. To think more objectively, I am going to start my cooling period today. And about the cooling off day. It's really dumb. What can change in a day before the elections??

Let's all start now people.

No comments: