Sunday, August 29, 2010

Monkeys are not cute

if you ever visit macritchie or any natural reserve, please DO NOT feed the monkeys or animals there. It'll change their natural behaviour and make them aggressive to humans.

My plea to all stems from my experience when I trekked at macritchie over the weekend. We bumped into a monkey sitting on the wooden rails of the route. I started my animal talk with the monkey, waving and saying HI to it, exclaiming to ES how cute it looked. It was munching something and I commented that maybe it was hungry.

Maybe it really was. The next second, it jumped like 2metres towards me and thanks to my agility, I managed to dodge in time with the monkey landing on the rail just behind me. Besides screaming my lungs out, I totally freaked and was in disbelief at how the monkey reciprocated my friendliness!

It started walking ahead of us, pausing after every few steps, turning back to check if we are behind him. And just when ES decided that it should be safe to overtake it, that aggressive shit did another pounce towards us! eeeks. We scrambled our way past it once we saw it going up the tree.

Well, that was the highlight of the trek and I'm so thankful that I'm still able to sit here blogging ...unscarthed.

Now, I'm gonna end the treacherous weekend with music.

1 comment:

cricetos.sp said...

Er, I had a similar experience, but I understand from mine that they are just playing with us. The thing is not to respond too much. I've taken pics of them bathing in front of me actually, and with one of them seated on the same narrow bench as me. But I do agree we should not feed them.