Saturday, December 17, 2011

Not so bad

The bustle of crazy xmas shopping was arrested by a mood of uncertainty as people wonder if SMRT would fail them.. again. Well, NS line was crippled twice in 3 days and for a good 5-6 hours for each incident. This is scary. As a good public officer, I mulled over why the sudden surge within the last 6 months. 

Just like electronics and systems, or technology in general, the more integrated, advanced and complicated it gets, the more problems and the harder it is to find out the cause. I remember my good ole canon printer which only had one function, PRINT. It's durability was incredible considering how many notes and papers it had to spit out during my schooling days. As compared to the all-in-one printers which I seldom use, their lifespans were pathetic. 

The disruptions became more frequent after the start of CCL and upon investigations, the faults identified were unheard of..like track faults,power rail problem, cable fault etc. The root cause might be something deeper, underlying the mesh of transports hubs,tunnels, lines and tracks. 

I'm not very disturbed by the spate of news on the disruptions. I find it quite entertaining actually... hot conversation topic whether face-to-face, on whatsapp or on FB. :) 

Could be that I was lucky enough not to be caught in any of the disruptions. The other could be my recent experience in India which helped greatly in negating some of the anger as well.  

People lived in a hell of constant honking, pollution that could whip up a fog and an almost non-existent transport system. That's how they live, with 1.21 billion others.

It definitely made me more grateful for what I have and where I am. 

Took this pic while in a 1.5hr jam on the way to Taj Mahal. 

Never seen SOOOO many people in my life. Traffic was bad and people were just huddling under the sun in their tentages, I dunno waiting for what. Maybe they have no idea as well. 

Wild boars rummaging through rubbish. Never seen so much rubbish in my life. 

No comments: