Saturday, September 10, 2011

Love declaration for mama san

Never been a mushy person. Not in my character at all. I'm probably forced to be mushy to ES coz he loves being mushed at... so... i'll mush him from time to time. guys guys guys.

But I was mushy to my mum today. I held her face and told her she's the greatest mum in the whole world and I'm so proud of her. I wanted her to know that although she isn't educated and not jiak kan tang like my bro's future in-laws, she should still feel confident about who she is and how proud I am of her.

Reason why this sudden PDA urge to her was coz she felt very uneasy throughout the food tasting session with the in-laws. I know her and knew that she doesn't look forward to such interaction sessions at all. She kept repeating the same lines and ended up sounding abit inane and repetitive.

I knew she has this complex that they are richer and more highly educated than her and hence, she refrains from displaying her straightforward character fearing that this would invite criticism from them....and from my bro. Sad right, own son not on the side of her and the family. My bro was sitting at the other side of the table, chatting and laughing so happily with the ILs. Never seen him doing the same with us. Why? ? Familiarity breeds hostility? totally idiotic and unacceptable to me.

So I gave my mama san a lesson on changing the way she thinks and feels. Like what a trainer taught me how to be confident when doing public speaking, constantly remind yourself that your audience is not the expert in the topic you are speaking on. You are. As much as you are struggling to discover what strikes a chord with your audience, your audience are also doing the same.

I told my mum to be natural and be herself. As much as you fear that you cannot understand their english, the ILs were also desperately trying to put together a chinese sentence with their pte limited store of chinese words. They were humming and errrrr-ing for a 10 secs wondering how to say ah ballings in chinese until i rescued them with the oh-so-difficult answer... 汤圆.

So what if they stay in bkt timah and speaks only english.

My mama san's life experiences win them hands down. Her sewing skill is impeccable, she holds several driving licenses for all kinds of vehicles, she can speak 4 dialects, she's a super cooking mama, knows how to choose the best durians and freshest ingredients for cooking. She has time to do all the household chores despite her work and busy mahjong schedule. She's ever so sweet, patient and considerate to us. She never raises her voice or shouts at us except when we were kids or when she wants to wake us up for breakfast.

I love u mama san. You're never beneath anyone and you are incomparable. I will never exchange ANYTHING for you.

3 comments:

ayu said...

GREAT POST BUDDY...LOVEEEEEEE
CHEERS TO ALL THE GREAT MOMS NO MATTER WHERE THEY COME FROM AND WHAT THEY DO! LOVVVEEEEEE.....

夏り said...

Yep... we think the same way..that's why we can be buddies. I was so emo and had an immense urge to sing 世上只有媽媽好 to my mum.. Lucky I didn't. Think she would send me to woodbridge. hahah. 3 cheers to all mums!

Serin said...

your post make me tear! Kudos to all mums!